In 2007, a small group of educators, researchers, and community leaders started meeting over pancake breakfasts to exchange ideas about the future of teaching and learning. Inspired by the opportunities and galvanized by the challenges facing young people in our rapidly changing society, they set out an journey to create a new model for education in the greater Pittsburgh region.
Over the past decade, this work grew and evolved to become Remake Learning. To mark this milestone, today we’re releasing two important documents:
Learning Together reports on the impact Remake Learning has made during its first decade, sharing examples of learning remade and tallying up what the network and its members have accomplished. Notable among the facts and figures recounted in the report are:
- Connecting more than 500 organizations into a collaborative network
- Training more than 5,300 educators in new and innovative teaching methods
- Establishing more than 170 makerspaces for hands-on learning
- Engaging more than 53,000 people in the annual Remake Learning Days celebration
- Attracting more than $70 million in philanthropic support for local learning innovation
What is Remake Learning? presents the newly revised Mission, Vision, and Values that will guide Remake Learning’s work in the years to come. Developed with the input of more than 100 community members representing the diverse voices and perspectives of the Remake Learning Network, this foundational document includes:
- A new mission statement for Remake Learning and definitions of the change we seek to make
- Clarifications of the questions and challenges motivating our work
- A renewed vision for the future of learning in the greater Pittsburgh region
- Descriptions of how people and organizations can become a part of Remake Learning
Remake Learning has made a fundamental shift in how our community thinks about learning. Gone is the notion of a student passively receiving knowledge while seated in a classroom. Today, learning is an active, anytime, anyplace, lifelong experience that challenges both learners and educators to fulfill their potential.
We’re proud of the progress we’ve made so far, but this journey is not yet complete. As we begin our second decade, we look forward to reaching our next milestone when the impact of Remake Learning reaches every learner in our community.